Translate

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Countries beginning with V

V! This letter is prolific

Here we have Virgin Islands, Vietnam, Venezuela and Vanuatu.

VIRGIN ISLANDS

Miniscule as they appear
on page 53 Collins
Essential Atlas of the World
ref K8, the UK and USA
clearly will not sell off
this prime real estate
contiguous to better-known
islands such as Puerto Rico,
the siamese twins of Haiti
and Guatemalan Republic,
and that outpost of inspiring
social experimentation,Cuba.

A "dreamy weather year-round"
has my hands itch to be rid of
arthritis, the reggae rhythms
have my legs and hips
remembering how to dance, but
there is nothing Christopher Columbus
could say to explain why
islands this balmy and laid-back
should be named for St Ursula
and eleven thousand virgins.

VIETNAM

I sat on hard asphalt, protesting on your behalf. Now I know so many people who love to visit you. 

When you were not free, I taught those who deserted you how to survive in this less dignified, less cultured country. Sometimes they cried. Sometimes they told me how to survive open boat journeys across heaving seas, although I could not then and cannot now imagine ever needing to. Invariably, they were orphans.

One young man adopted me as a mother-figure. We ate our pho in Victoria Street. He was tormented by unrequited love. It was the custom, he explained, to cut off a finger to demonstrate the power of devotion. I never saw him again.

I missed the parties and spring rolls, the occupation of my home. When I left the job and suburb, however, I did not look back. For all of us, the future is far more inspiring than the past.

VENEZUELA

In the English class, she insisted Venezuela 
is not as kind to women as it could be.
A country of extremes and big proportions
say the travel experts. Who are we
to disbelieve?

VANUATU

Eighty-three islands, one hundred
languages. Let me retreat to a multinational
resort and bury myself in lush luxury,
be pampered and never have to utter a word.

Or walk among, swim and boat throughout,
your  miraculous multitudinity, become
an internationalist within one country.


No comments:

Post a Comment